Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Your vote DOESN'T count!

Really!  And all these years we've been told that it's our "duty" to vote.  Of course I'm talking "primaries" in this case.  But if THEY don't count, why should we be expected to vote when the "real" election comes about?

Okay, let me explain all this angst.

Yesterday, February 7th, were the presidential primaries in Colorado, Minnesota, and Missouri.  My state of Missouri is also holding a "caucus" which will determine which candidate gets the state's delegates.  Many people in the state thought the "primary" was unnecessary since it has no bearing on the caucus.  I found myself telling voters that their vote should influence who the caucus gives our delegates to.  I may be dead wrong about that!

From what I heard on the news, even though three states went heavily for Rick Santorum, he's not necessarily going to get those state's delegates.  Huh?  If he wins the states, but doesn't get their support, why should he even bother?  And no wonder the "other candidates" didn't bother to campaign here.  Why one didn't even bother to get his name on the ballot!

When I was a kid, growing up, I used to love watching the political conventions.  One never knew until the bitter end, which candidate would get enough delegates to put him over the top, and get the presidential nomination nod.   Now it would appear to be decided behind closed doors, and be a "done deal" before the convention even starts.  So what's the convention?  Just a party hearty sort of event?

I talked to a friend of mine who said he has never voted because he's never heard a candidate tell how he was going to fix things.  He only hears one candidate telling how bad the other candidate is.  I can uinderstand his thought process.

Call me disillusioned yet again, on Day 205!

No comments:

Post a Comment