Friday, October 22, 2010

R.I.P. Juan Williams

What a mess...  Juan may have said something many of us may think, BUT to say it out loud on a TV show, was just wrong.  As a news reporter, he's expected, at all public appearances (such as the Bill O'Reilly Show) to be absolutely unbiased.  I'm not sure if NPR acted too hastily in firing him, but Fox sure picked him up in a hurry, so he didn't land with a thud.  I personally lost all respect for him, with his uncalled-for  comments.

I say this as I recently came home from a trip out east, with a stop in New York City.  I rode the Staten Island ferry and looking around me, I saw and heard very, very few people who spoke English, and many may have been muslim.  Was I worried?  After all this was in close, and confined quarters.   I can even recall thinking that a security mantra for being in crowds, was to watch for unusual behavior.  What IS unusual behavior?  I decided to just enjoy my vacation. 

 All I saw were people, probably mostly tourists.  We probably also had the same agenda of seeing the sights, taking pictures, enjoying the energy that is New York.  If I were to worry about seeing  a lot of people who I thought were muslims, I'd probably just stay in my small town in Missouri and hide.

Juan, time to go...Day 58!

No comments:

Post a Comment