Sunday, January 16, 2011

One man's trash is another man's treasure, or is it just garbage?

Since it's a nice, sunny day, we (the significant other and I) decided to clean up the fence row along the road, of saplings, etc.  I was astounded, although I should know better having lived here for over 15 years, of all the trash that people fling from their cars and onto our property.  I decided to go back with some trash bags and do my semi-annual pick up.

Some things have not changed.  People still think that a brown paper bag disguises a bottle or can of beer.  Hey, we all know what's in there!  Did you get the bag to keep it cold?  And you can still buy beer in big brown bottles.  However, there were some more modern ways to get your alcohol, such as small, I mean really small bottle of wine and/or hooch.  You can also get hooch in a small bag-type container.   Do you think these people figure they won't get as loaded if they drink small quantities at a time?

Speaking of flinging trash, why can't these people take it home with them?  Perhaps if you were to visit them, their yards are littered with plastic bottles, Wal Mart bags,   Big Gulp cups, etc, etc.   

You can't assume that just alcoholics going down the road fling trash either.  I volunteer at a Nature center and I took a trash bag out to see what I could pick up walking the trails.   There is a stream that runs through there and lots of things get washed down, but the trash I found was no where near the stream.    Interestingly enough I found drink containers that are associated with health food and the like.  Shows you even the so-called physically fit people don't care where they leave their trash.  Everyone is to blame!

I did pick up about a pound of aluminum cans in about 1/2 hour.  At the current rate of $.65/pound locally, that's $1.30/hour.  Far less than minimum wage,  but that's the "treasure" I got out of another man's trash.

I think now I'll just kick back and have a nice glass of piesporter, at home,  on this Day 75!

No comments:

Post a Comment