Sunday, December 18, 2011

Merry Christmas? Black Friday follow-up...

Did you know you could have regrets over Black Friday purchases?  That all the time spent because you woke up extra early, or never went to bed; stood in line; fought crowds that may or may not have had someone with pepper spray amongst them, may have all been in vain?

Evidently many people got caught up in the hype, shopped until they dropped, went home, added up what they had spent (or charged) and then looked at the monthly bill pile they ignored as they were too busy honing their bargain-hunting skills.  So what does a person do?  Well, you return the stuff you really didn't want or need, which of course means that some of the merchandise has been rendered unsaleable, as it's been opened, or worn, or somehow used.  This is especially true in electronics. 

Who's at fault?  Both the sellers, for putting the idea out there that you need these electronics, and the people who think the only way to get that good deal, is to stand in line, and fight your way into the store of your choice.  There must be a helluva markup that the sellers can put up with this revenue loss.  The buyers have remorse for having to return those products so they can pay their bills, but no remorse for having made the product unuseable for a another customer.

What's wrong with spending within your means?  I also read about a woman who's "$400 toys for her 4-year old" layaway was generously paid off by an anonymous donor.  While I applaud the random act of kindness, I question the woman who buys $400 worth of gifts for a 4 year old who's probably happier with the boxes the toys came in.

When I was a kid, I got a lot of stuff I didn't want...socks, underwear, etc.  But I was happy to at least have a present to open.  If I didn't get the latest rage toy, gizmo, gadget, it was not the end of the world.   Eventually I got to play with one whether it was older and used, or in the posession of a friend.  And now that I'm older, if I see something I missed in my youth, I can enjoy looking at it, and remembering, and even buying it if I'm so inspired.

Not quite Scrooge, but not quite broke either,  on Day 197! 

No comments:

Post a Comment