Friday, November 25, 2011

Black Friday, as Andy might see it!

Today is the day after Thanksgiving, which retailers have come to affectionately call "Black Friday."  Supposedly the most money a store makes in a year's time, comes right after Thanksgiving, and the sooner they can get into your pocketbook, the better. 

They used to just advertise sales and open their doors at the regular store hours.  Then they decided to push it back a bit, such as 6 a..m.  Then it became earlier, and earlier, and THIS year, some stores opened at 10:00 p.m, Thanksgiving evening.

I suppose next year the stores may be serving Thanksgiving dinner, so you can be there when the store opens.  Then you won't have to worry about shooing your guests out of the house, so you can get ready to shop! 

Of course with all this buying frenzy there has to be a downside as some people want what they want, and no one or anything is going to get in their way.  There was even one incidence where a woman used pepper spray to subdue other shoppers while she grabbed the item she wanted from an electronics display.  And a Merry Christmas to you!  I'm sure she made the maced shoppers less than merry!  I hope they catch her.

I, as I'm sure Andy would have agreed in his own life, do not really need anything that would make me leave home on Thanksgiving after a wonderful meal.    And although I love my family, I would not even go out for their gifts.  If I cannot get them what I want, and can afford, then I shall work out some other conpromise. 

This Christmas, as every other Christmas in the past, I'm not going to max out my credit cards.  I'm not going to take out a loan.  I'm going to stay safe.

And I'm not leaving the dinner table to shop, on Day 196!





No comments:

Post a Comment