Sunday, May 15, 2011

Estate Sales

I went to an estate sale this week.  It was a person I knew of, but did not know personally.  I used to see him at the local McDonald's in the mornings, when I got my coffee.  He was a regular who sat with the other regulars and discussed who knows what.  Probably the town's latest scandals, or high school sports.  Those are usually the most interesting things happening in small towns.

As I went through the house at the sale, Iwas struck by several different things.  I felt almost like a voyeur.  I saw he was a very neat person.  He was also a bit of a clothes horse.  Had an eclectic taste in music.  Had very nice furnishings.   And a Harley freak.  I didn't even know of the Harley connection because he walked with a bit of a stiff leg, and never wore anything that would indicate that interest, you know the Harley t-shirts, leather jackets, etc.  He did have a Harley sticker on his truck, but my husband noticed that.  I never did.

When he passed, one of the other regulars at McD's asked if we knew him,  We didn't. We knew of him, but not personally.  He just mentioned that he had passed away.  Sorry, we said.   He didn't seem that old, although we thought he was retired.

It made me wonder what people would think, if they came through my house to barter and buy my leftovers, after the family went through and retrieved what they wanted, if anything at all.   Would they be impressed?  Would they get a different picture of me?  Would they admire my life, or would they reaffirm I was the odd person they always assumed?  Would they like my "stuff" or would they walk away empty handed.   Would anyone buy something to remember me?  Or would they just be buying it for resale at a flea market or antique store?

Although I did not know him, I do know his memory will be with me long after Day 132!

No comments:

Post a Comment