Tuesday, May 24, 2011

How to get a job in this market!

To grab a few lines from the Huffpost, "don't be old", "don't be unemployed", "don't pin your hopes on college", "don't expect higher wages."  Gee, isn't that inspiring!

The first two are really, really annoying!  It's easier said that done to "get younger."  As one person told me, take the date of graduation from college, off your resume, as they can count backwards and "age" you.  Okay, did that.  Many of  the Employment Applications you fill out ask for your birth date, so they can still get you.

Don't be unemployed?  Sure...I planned on leaving involuntarily from my last position (not!)  I had planned on leaving only if I found another, better position!  My previous employer heard that and assumed I was going to quit.  Not hardly, as that was when the economy was really starting to spiral downward! 

Don't pin your hopes on higher education?  Never did!  I only had a few positions that would correlate with my degree, and the pay was miserable.  I was pleased with myself for finishing college, as that in itself was an accomplishment, but finding work in my field...never happen.  Now, there are a few jobs in that field, but I'm "too old" and my education is too out-of-date to matter! 

Higher wages?  Heck, any wages would be appreciated.  I must say I have found entry-level positions, albeit part-time, which pay as much or even more than I was making, but they're all part-time!  I do have the dreaded social security option to supplement my income, but the longer you wait, the more you get.  I should have opted for it right away, as the increase in the amount I'll draw is peanuts compared to what I'm losing by not drawing any,  and relying on unemployment and my part-time hours.

If blogging paid money, I'd be better off, but even then writer's bloc might keep me from making it happen.   More negatives than positives on Day 136!

No comments:

Post a Comment