Monday, May 23, 2011

Tornadoes vs. Grizzly Bears

Which would you rather encounter?
I had this particular discussion on Saturday, the day before the devastating tornado that hit Joplin, MO.  I was talking with an acquaintance who mentioned that she had good friends who live in Montana, in grizzly bear country.  I said I could not live where there were grizzlys, as I'd be too afraid, if I ever came across one, bear spray or not!  She said her friends actually said they would rather live with grizzlies than tornadoes!  Prophetic words to be sure!

This talk took place on Saturday, when we were all waiting (albeit nonchantly, and for sure skeptically) for the "Rapture" to begin.   I was also thinking that we had been lucky so far this spring as we had some severe weather, but no tornadoes.  The weekend had been fairly nice, the approaching storms seemed to blow over, and Saturday and Sunday were sunny, although windy.  Then Sunday afternoon, the weather took a turn for the worst!

As of this writing, there are 98 dead. in the Joplin area alone, as there were other deadly tornadoes in the Midwest on Sunday.  Makes you wonder about the odds: tornado vs. grizzly.  Tornadoes can take many more lives at a single time.  You can help yourselves, somewhat, against the ravages of a tornado.  Same applies with grizzly protection, but you have to live where they live to encounter one.

It's supposed to storm again this evening, and later this week, and since I don't have enough time to move to grizzly country, I'll just have to take my chances here, on Day 135!



No comments:

Post a Comment