Monday, June 20, 2011

A word by any other name?

Andy started me thinking about this last night, when he mentioned the funny papers.  But the gist of his story was not about the funnies, and my story isn't either.

I'm just intrigued by the various names we give things, and how these names are interpreted differently through the country.  For example, the "funnies" or "comics."  We assume these to be the cartoon pages in the newspaper.  When I was growing up, we always called them the "jokes."   

When I grew up in Chicago we called soda pop just "pop."  In the South, and other areas, it's referred to as soda.  So now, when in doubt, I just ask for soda pop, and surely someone knows what I'm talking about.

I went to a bait shop the other week to get some crayfish.  the clerk said they didn't have any.  I had been in there a week earlier, and the clerk at that time (different person) said they had not received their shipment yet.  So I asked the clerk, on this day, if the shipment just had not arrived.  He told me they had crawdads, but no crayfish.  (He was a young kid, probably not more than 20.)  I explained to him they were the very same animal!  He had never known that.

Wonder if I'll have to reinterpret something else on Day 146!

No comments:

Post a Comment