Sunday, February 20, 2011

R.I.P. Pontiac

I was browsing some of the magazines at the grocery store yesterday, and I saw magazines for Mustangs, Corvettes, and...gasp...Pontiac!  With a GTO on the cover!  A newer GTO!  Maybe I should have bought the magazine as that, along with the car, which already is, will be defunct!

GM is pushing Buicks instead!  Oh yeah, how many Buicks do you see going down the road?  And how many Pontiacs do you still see?  Huge disparity.  And it may stay that way.  I read GM wants to make Buick their new "luxury car" to compete with Lexus, I guess?  And to appeal to who, the baby boomers?  Speaking of which, many of the Boomers lost a bit of income with the market crash, and bank shenanigans, so they may not be able to afford a Buick/Lexus-type vehicle.   I'm a boomer, and the last car I ever thought I'd buy would be a Buick.  I love my Pontiac, and when it finally takes its last tour of the countryside, I'm going to find something...probably...foreign!  No kidding!

Besides my Pontiac, I do drive a very American car, a sports car, but when it comes to everyday, Buick will not be it!  I may even buy an older, used Pontiac.  That may help GM with their aftermarket product sales, if they manufacture them, but not with new car sales.

I find it interesting that Camaro and Charger were afforded an upgraded look.  Why didn't the Firebird get the same respect?    Don't see Buick coming out with some sort of "fun car."  Sorry GM...you lost me way before Day 90!

No comments:

Post a Comment