Thursday, February 3, 2011

What happened to good old aspirin???

Not all that many years ago, if you had a wisdon tooth pulled, you were given a prescription for extra-strength tylenol.  Or excedrin.    Before the advent of tylenol, we used aspirin to control pain.   Now if you get a hang nail, physicians seem to want to prescribe oxycontin.  And all we hear about in the news is how addicting it is.  So who's getting paid off to prescribe this drug?  The doctors and drug companies would appear to be in cahoots, in a big way!

I have a bad knee.  I finally went to the doctor and got a prescription for something other than over-the-counter ibuprofen, or naproxen.  I got hydrocodone.  NOT what I was expecting.  I used it, with little success, and let the doctor know.  I then got some extra-strength naproxen.  Works well enough, but I can get the same pain-free advantage with extra-strength excedrin, so I use that instead.   It's cheaper, and I'm not interested in having a bunch of prescription pill bottles around.

Every single person I talk to, who volunteers the information that they got some pain pills from the doctor (for whatever reason), they get oxycontin.  And almost every one I talk to (again, the information is volunteered) say they get "funny feelings" when using this stuff.  But they keep taking it!  With the exception of one person who said he just took "tylenol" (surprise, surprise) to get rid of the pain (of a wisdom tooth extraction.)  The oxy made him feel itchy; I guess a common side effect.

Do you wonder why you or your child is addicted?  Ask the doctor who prescribed the oxy!   Glad to say I could pass ANY drug test on this Day 80!


No comments:

Post a Comment