Saturday, July 23, 2011

R.I.P. Amy Winehouse

I hate hearing about any deaths of people I know or like, and its even more sad when it's a young, talented person.   I was not an Amy Winehouse fan, but my husband was really enamored with her.  And he's not one of her "young" followers either.  So I guess I'm really sad for him.

Indeed she seemed to have a very troubled life.  She was beset by demons of drugs, alcohol, and life itself.  Too much fame, too quickly, no really good support system in place.  As with other famous people who are addicts, I do not understand how their entourage appears to look the other way.  I guess if they don't they lose their meal ticket?  But why not just help them for the humane reasons that it's a human being you're dealing with, and they should know better? 

Or how about some parental intervention; although she was out of the house and on her own.  There should have been some way to keep her institutionalized, even against her own will, to help her get her "head together."  If she had hurt someone, she would have been in jail, and perhaps getting treatment, but the only one she hurt was herself, so there was no "outside interference."

I feel the same way about Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, and even Elvis.  I didn't like Elvis, but his team should have kept him alive and well! Whoops, I forgot Michael jackson...another prime example of letting someone get his own way, to his extreme detriment!  He had young children, and still his handlers did him no good!  Unfortunately in this instance I think his (adult) family was duplicitous also.

Maybe these famous people should give their lawyers power of attorney so the attorney can keep them sane and alive, if necessary?  I supose that could be abused too, but if the celebrity were clean and sober, they could make that decision, as they should be more aware of their surroundings.

It's too late for Amy, but maybe we can strive to save someone else on or after this Day 154!

No comments:

Post a Comment