Sunday, July 10, 2011

Separation of church and state?

Recently, I was told by a usually reliable source, that a local mega-church wanted to know a person's income when they joined the church.  I thought he meant W-2 forms, and I thought why would a church need to see that?  And of course, that's none of their business anyway!  The government...yes, taxes are taxes, but the church?  No!

He then amended the statement to mean they wanted to see your proof of income such as a pay stub.  Again, this is a strange way to conduct "the Lord's work" if you ask me.  When I asked why he thought that mattered, he said he assumed that they wanted to know how much you could/would/should tithe!   I'm also told the going rate is 10%.  Personally, it sounded like if you're not wealthy enough to really give, then you don't need our religion. 

I cannot imagine a person making, for example, $12,000 a year (before taxes we'll assume) to give $1200.  If you're making only $12,000, you're probably below the federal poverty line (actually it's around $10,000 for a family of one, and $14,000 for a family of 2), and to give it away to a church which has everything but valet parking...not such a grand idea, in my humble estimation.

If you're making that little money, there is help available in federal aid to you, but I'm not sure I condone taking from the government, so you have more to give to the church, as that is in effect, what would be happening. 

This is one of the many reasons I'm becoming much less of a "believer" on Day 151!

No comments:

Post a Comment