Saturday, August 6, 2011

Remember when...

...we all used to eat dinner together at dinnertime, with the TV off?

I bring this up because I'm tired of negative energy.  This particular issue was raised when a dietician was asked why we have such child obesity, and one of the reasons was that the family does not eat together any more.  But I'm not here to discuss obesity.  I could use a few pounds myself.

I remember watching TV at about 5:00 in the evening, in time to see The Mickey Mouse Club, with Annette Funicello, and a few others who's names I have forgotten, and leave with dreams of going to Disneyland.   I probably remember Annette because my next-door neighbor was Italian, and reminded me of her.  Of course the program ran an hour, and we ate promptly at 5:30, no ifs, ands, or buts!  So the TV went off!  Occasionally, and just occasionally dinner would be a few minutes late, and I could see just a wee bit more of the show, but never all the way through.

My mother was also a stickler for a proper dinner, which meant meat, potatoes and a vegetable.  She was a really, really good cook, which I never appreciated because she had a way of making things I really didn't like,  One of her specialities was Chop Suey.  I went to a very good Chinese restaurant in downtown Chicago and tried their Chop Suey, thinking that I'd finally find out what it was supposed to taste like!   It tasted just like my mothers!

Dinnertime, at the time, seemed to be a chore.  But today, with everything being fast, fast, fast, I miss those dinners.  My husband and I have dinner here. only occasionally, since he works nights and I work days.  He prefers to go out for dinner over the weekend, but I have to say that I really enjoy putting together an occasional dinner, on the weekends, where we sit down at the table.  A bit reminiscent of the good old days.

However, I am still waiting to go to Disneyland ...Day 164!

No comments:

Post a Comment