Monday, August 1, 2011

They'rrrrrre baccccccckkkk!!!!!!!!!!

I was driving down the road the other day, when I spied an unusual looking convertible sports car in my rear view mirror.  I knew it was an older model, but didn't recognize the front end, or the model.  Thought it may have been an old Alpha Romeo, as I know there's one in the area. 

When the car passed me, I looked at the tail end, and abruptly realized it was an old Sunbeam!  The very car that Andy has.   I have not seen one of those since the early 70s, I'm almost sure.  Living in a rural part of America, one doesn't see very many "odd" vehicles at all, mostly pick-up trucks, of all ages, and sizes.

I have seen more and more older foreign sports cars on the road around here.  Part of that could be due to all the people who have moved here from other parts of the US, and brought their toys with them.  But I'm also wondering if these old cars, and I'm talking  Triumph TRs, MGs, that older Alpha previously mentioned, and now the Sunbeam, etc. have finally overcome the mechanical problems they were famous for!

Who hasn't heard the acronym of F.I.A.T. (fix it again, Tony.)

I love seeing these old cars.  I've had the opportunity to purchase one in the past, but the mechanical problems were usually the reason the car was for sale.  If the current owner couldn't keep it running, what made me think I could?  So I passed on all of them.

Looking forward to seeing the past, without the mechanical problems,  on Day 158!



No comments:

Post a Comment