Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Dave Barry got it right...

Sorry Andy, but I have to quote someone else here.  Someone I admire just as much...Dave Barry.  The quote mentioned was a short blurb in the classified pages of our local newspaper.  The quote was about "SUVs."

Dave is quoted as saying "Admit it, sport-utility vehicle owners!  It's shaped a little differently, but it's a station wagon!  And you do not drive it across rivers!  You drive it across the Wal-Mart parking lot!"

So true!  The majority of them are 4WD (four-wheel drive) or AWD (all-wheel drive) which means you should not get stuck in most places.  A foot of snow should not deter you.  However, I did work with someone who called in because his Chevy Blazer (forerunner to the SUV) was stuck, in less than 6 inches of snow, in his driveway.  I think this was an excuse to not come to work.  I have seen some SUV owners "stuck" because they were not able to figure out either how to get out of a snow drift, or didn't want to try for fear of "tearing up the vehicle."

Since I married a Jeep freak, for the past 30+ years, I've had 4WD in my life.  I know what it can and cannot do, and the "cannots" are few.  One very important fact to remember, for those new SUV drivers, is that NOTHING works on ice.  And we have plenty of ice storms in this part of the country.  As far as snow goes, you can get out of tough places, but careful driving is still the MOST IMPORTANT when driving, regardless of 2WD or 4WD.  Four-wheel drive just means you'll get stuck further off the road.

Since you thought you needed an SUV, learn how to use those station wagons the way they're supposed to be used!  With winter coming, those are my thoughts on Day 49!

No comments:

Post a Comment