Sunday, April 24, 2011

High gas prices? Blame yourself!

I blame myself, to some extent, but I've been concerned about gas prices since they started going up in the early 70s.  But what did I do about it?  I've always checked my gas mileage!  I've bought cars (for me) that got really good gas mileage, and then I've bought cars that have been alittle less forgiving, but never a "gas guzzler!"   But I never pushed my fellow Americans, or congressional leaders, about renewable energy sources. 

There are too many people living now, who should remember the gas lines of the 70s.  At that time, the US was "determined" to not be dependent upon foreign oil.  Here we are 50 years later, still singing that tune.  So who do we blame?  The "guy in office?"  Like he had anything to do with it.  Well, in a way he did, because he, among almost every other American, just went with the flow, and as long as the economy was good, didn't worry about alternative energy sources.  But we all had a chance to do something, and we did nothing. 

The argument was probably that it would take years for alternative energy to be viable.  Well folks 50 years later, seems like a lot of years that have been wasted, and renewable energy is still "way in the future."

Some of us started making phenomenal salaries, and we also thought the real estate cash cow would go on forever.  So we bought Hummers, or Ford Excursions, with almost negative gas mileage, and homes that were 4000 square feet,  when we only needed 1500, and more than one at a time, as an investment, and the floor fell out from underneath us.  Some of us.  And now we're crying that the people in office have let us down.  When we really let ourselves down.  We were going forward with blinders on.

It may take another 50 years to get energy under control.  But we cannot, should not wait...or get complacent if the economy starts to get better.  I'll be happy to lead the way Day 129!


No comments:

Post a Comment