Monday, April 11, 2011

Working on into "old age"

...sure works for Andy.  A very belated Happy Birthday to he, who is now 92 and still going into the office on a daily basis, although he's not on 60 Minutes as often.  He was quoted by the Minneapolis Tribune as saying he didn't have to work, he just wants to!  To that I say hurray, and wish him well, and envy him also. 

I'd love to work still, but after getting ousted from my last position, it's been over a year, and I still have not found anything yet I can call a 'real"  job.  Of course I read all the articles related to getting another job, such as: go back to school, write a brilliant resume, reinvent yourself.  Then there are the articles relating to the age factor:  the young can't find jobs because there are too many seniors still working; the seniors need to work because they don't have enough to retire on, or need the health care provided by a job.

Andy lucked out because he has a job he loves, and he's not been ousted for any reason.   There are too many of us who have not had those opportunities.   And there are too many of us who are not ready to just give up and  accept it, calling "it"  bad luck/fate/karma.    I can't speak for the legions, but when Andy decides that he's not taking any more cab rides from his Manhattan apartment to his office, I'll be waiting in line, with my not-so-brilliant resume, to take his place. 

Well, I guess that would come under the headng of "reinventing myself" on Day 119!

No comments:

Post a Comment