Wednesday, April 13, 2011

...reminiscing again...

I was reading a book the other evening, and it brought up some old memories of what it was like growing up in Chicago in the early 50s.  Some memories are rather vague, but they are occasionally, crisply revived by passages I've read in others' writings.

The corner butcher shop was one such reminiscence.  When I was in school, I would buy a cow's heart, or kidney, or some other odd organ, for a science project.  For example, I could cut open the heart and explain the chambers, and the function of the aorta, etc.  I remember seeing live chickens, ducks and rabbits in the window too.  You could go in, pick out which one you wanted, and it would be processed later that day.  I do not think my mother ever bought anything there, but I sure enjoyed looking.

With all today's food regulations, this would never be acceptable, but I never knew anyone to get sick eating from the butcher shop.  And you knew that meat was fresh!

A while back I wrote about penny candy, another "blast from the past."  I meant to write more about olden days, but got sidetracked.  I've got lots more memories in the dusty hallways of my mind, so  I'll try to do better, and invite you in again,  after Day 122!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment