Monday, April 4, 2011

What's in YOUR garage?

Cars or crap?

I see so many cars sitting in driveways because there's too much stuff in the garage, and they can't get their cars in.   I must admit though, I do have friends whose own garage is immaculate, and they still don't park their cars in there.  But they are the exception.
Basements are now living areas, and often added into the square footage when advertising a house for sale.  They used to be for storage, but now all that goes into the garage.  Three car garages now seem to be the new norm.  So that's additional storage, when the basement is now divided into bedrooms, in-law quarters, etc, etc.

There was a time when garages were too short.  I can remember our neighbor across the street buying a new Cadillac back in the late 50s, and he couldn't shut his garage door because it would hit the trunk.  They've increased the space a bit, but not by much.  My brother had to put down a strip so he would know when he had pulled in far enough to clear the back door, but not hit the front wall.  But now some cars are too wide for the allotted spaces given,  so some have side mirrors that you can fold in when entering the garage so you won't hit them on the sides of the doorway. 

You would think there was a building standard for garages, just like there is for stud spacing when putting up walls in new cosntruction.  But maybe the builder knows that there won't be cars in the garage, only crap, anyway.  I say crap, because if it's relegated to your garage, and takes up so much floor space that you cannot get your car in, how important is it?

Call me old fashioned but I have my car in my garage, on Day 116!

No comments:

Post a Comment