Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Can you take Michelle Bachman seriously?

I only say this because a panellist on Bill Mahr's late night talk show was all atwitter about Michelle Bachman as a potential presidential candidate.   The gal (can't remember her name) was incensed because the only Republican candidates seemed to be white, southern gentlemen, although a few of the candidates mentioned hailed from Minnesota, Indiana, Massachusetts...

When asked who she would endorse, leaving Sarah Palin out of the mix, she mentioned Bachman.

 Bill Mahr then went on to point out how Bachman  had said something about the founding fathers eliminating slavery (huh?) and that Thomas Jefferson was the person who liberated the slaves.  Well maybe he freed his own slaves (don't really know) but I do believe Abraham Lincoln gets the majority of the credit. 

Bachman was never on my radar, nor is politics for much of the year, so I'm just paraphrasing what I heard on Bill's show.  But then yesterday, I DID see a blurb on Bachman that she missed her history lesson yet again, and said that New Hampshire was the place where the "shot heard round the world" was fired.  Indeed it was in Massachusetts, but possibly the folks in New Hampshire heard it too?

Now if I were interested in running for public office, I'd be sure to only talk about things I knew about, and when in politics, I think history should be something you'd know about!  Of course the "shot" may have been a bit harder for me, but not Lincoln!   I may have had an advantage growing up in Illinois, where he is revered, and we even got a day off for his birthday! 

Still trying to make my own history...on Day 104!

No comments:

Post a Comment