Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Just wear old clothes...

That was the message I got, when I volunteered to do some work at the local fish hatchery.  (Yet another story.)  The problem is, I don't have any really "old" clothes.  Because I don't clothes shop much!  My last two positions either involved wearing a uniform, or wearing the exact same type and color of clothing every day, almost like a uniform, except we were expected to buy our own "uniform."    Therefore all my clothes are basically work clothes.  Not having an overactive social life, I don't feel the need to buy more new clothes for special occasions.  I buy clothes that will last through the next millennia (millenium?)

Case in point.  Over 30 years ago I bought  a London Fog trenchcoat.  You know the kind...double breasted, with a belt.  My husband had a fit because at the time it was over $100.  (It was also made in the U.S.A.  Again, another story.)  That same trenchcoat is still around today, made by London Fog, in the stores at roughly $100.  Maybe I could have waited.  But regardless, why would I buy a new coat, when the new ones look exactly like my old one, which obviously does't get that much wear anyway?

Come to think of it, the "new" jeans that you see are being sold with rips and tears, and frayed areas.  So who's to say I'm not wearing old "new" clothes, or is that new "old" clothes, on Day 111!



No comments:

Post a Comment