Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Do the math...

Remember algebra? Ever use it? If you answered "not much" and "never" you're probably in the majority of Americans. I don't know any mathmeticians. Do they use algebra, or just other higher forms of math?

Yet it's something we all had to learn in high school, and then even in college, regardless of our majors.  With the advent of calculators, and now computers, will it become dead math, like a dead language? I've looked at algebra problems with some young friends, who had homework in it, and could answer their questions. Something I wasn't able to do when I took algebra myself. It makes more sense now, but...is it useful? I think I'll just stick to the mental gymnastics of doing long addtion in my head, on Day 110!







No comments:

Post a Comment