Sunday, August 22, 2010

Age is catching up...OUCH!

They say you're only as old as you feel.  The majority of me feels like I'm in my 20s, but once in a while I feel like I'm in my hundreds!  Case in point...I gained a couple pounds since I lost my job.  I thought about walking SINCE the experts say that walking is good for you.  After a little research I read that faster walking, i.e. 3-4 miles an hour, is preferable. 

I went to the local recreation center where there is an indoor track, and you can measure your mileage  by the number of laps you do.  I timed myself and found I could keep up a 3.5 to 4 mph pace.  But I got greedy!

I used to jog when I was younger, actually much younger when I add up the years that have gone by!  So I decided to see if I could jog part of the laps.  It hurt a little, but I just attributed this to being stiff.

Did I mention I had knee surgery about 3 years ago?

After two weeks of this (although I did ease off on the jogging, as I thought that possible I had "done something"), I was in excruciating pain!  I'm now on very serious anti-inflammatories with a possibility of an injection to combat the osteoarthritis that I've been ignoring, or rather putting out of my mind, thinking that if I keep being active, it will go away.  Not so.   

In my mind I was as physically able as I was 20 or 30 or 40 years ago.  There are many things I can still do, but there are a few that I cannot, regardless of how I view them mentally.  Jogging is obviously one of them.

I could get knee replacements and that may help me relive some of my youth, but that's not on my horizon, if I can help it, this Day 30! 

No comments:

Post a Comment