Friday, August 6, 2010

Rules of the road...

I can't see your front bumper!  I think you're following too close!
There was a horrible accident yesterday.  It involved two school buses, a truck and a semi.  There were 2 deaths.  A decided cause of the accident has not yet been reported.  The local news showed a re-creation of what may have transpired.

I cannot address this particular incident, but it appeared to me that the drivers were not following something I learned early in Driver's Ed.  You should leave a car length for every 10 miles per hour you are driving.  If you're going 40, then four car lengths, 50 equal five car lengths, 60 is six lengths, etc, etc. 

The area where the accident happened had a speed limit of 70.  That would indicate at least 7 car lengths if you're doing the speed limit.  I believe this was also a construction zone.  In the state of Missouri you can be heavily fined by going faster than the posted speed, which is obviously lower in a construction zone.  But regardless, remember if the speed limit is 50, then five lengths; 70, then seven lengths.  Should be plenty of stopping time, if brakes are in good working order. 

If I'm going down the road and I can't see your bumper, you're definitely too close.   Give us both a brake, and back off!  I'll do the speed limit.  If you want to get around me, wait until I'm in the right lane.  If I'm already in the right lane, go around!  But stay off my butt!

Written safely from home, on this 18th day!

No comments:

Post a Comment